Won Jae CHOI
Adjunct Associate Professor
Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Biochemistry, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, NUS.
Senior Manager, Institute of Chemical and Engineering Sciences, A-STAR.
|Degree and Institution||Year(s)|
|Ph.D. in Biochemical Engineering, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea||1995-2001|
|M.S. in Biochemical Engineering, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea||1993-1995|
|B.S. in Chemical Technology, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea||1988-1992|
|Position and Institute||Year(s)|
|Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Biochemistry, National University of Singapore||2015–present|
|Senior Manager, Institute of Chemical and Engineering Sciences, A-STAR, Singapore||2014–present|
|Group Leader, Biochemical Group, Samsung Petrochemical Co Ltd, Korea||2011-2014|
|Team Leader, Institute of Chemical and Engineering Sciences, A-STAR, Singapore||2004-2010|
|Team Leader, Bioengineering Research Team, Dongbu Hannong Chemical Co Ltd, Korea||2001-2003|
Won Jae Choi’s research interests include synthetic biology, metabolic engineering, biocatalysis and bioprocess development for the production of pharmaceutical intermediates, therapeutic proteins, and bulk/specialty chemicals. Since obtained Ph.D. in 2001, working in industry as well as in research institute, he has been actively involved in the area of Industrial Biotechnology targeting at construction of metabolically engineered strains, fermentation process and scale-up for commercialization. In his recent career in Samsung, he was also involved in R&D management as a group leader, such as establishment of research organization, manpower building and planning R&D strategy for new business opportunity. He is currently leading “Biomass to Chemicals Program” funded by A-STAR as a program manager.
- W. J. Choi, C. Y. Choi, J. A. M. de Bont, and C. A. G. M. Weijers (2000) Continuous production of enantiopure 1,2-epoxyhexane by yeast epoxide hydrolase in a two-phase membrane bioreactor. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 54, 641-646
- Mei Chia, Thi Bich Van Nguyen, Won Jae Choi (2008) DO-Stat Fed-Batch Production of 2-Keto-D-Gluconic Acid from Cassava Using Immobilized Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 78(5), 759-765.
- Won Jae Choi, Sze Min Puah, Li Ling Tan, Soon Seng Ng (2008) Production of (R)-ethyl-3,4 epoxybutyrate by newly isolated Acinetobacter baumannii containing epoxide hydrolase. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 79(1), 61-67.
- Won Jae Choi (2009) Biotechnological production of enantiopure epoxides by enzymatic kinetic resolution. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 84(2), 239-247.
- Won Jae Choi, Maria Regina Hartono, Weng Heng Chan, Suan Siong Yeo (2011) Ethanol production from biodiesel-derived crude glycerol by newly isolated Kluyvera cryocrescens. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 89(4 (20) 1255-1264