Chit Fang CHEOK
Adjunct Assistant Professor
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Biochemistry, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, NUS.
Principal Investigator, p53 Joint Research Lab (JRL), A*STAR.
|Degree and Institution||Year(s)|
|PhD, University of Oxford, UK||2005|
|Bachelor, Imperial College London, UK||2001|
|Position and Institute||Year(s)|
|Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Biochemistry, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, NUS||2009 - Present|
|Senior Research Fellow, p53Lab, A*STAR||2009 - Present|
|Senior Research Fellow, Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, A*STAR||2006 - 2009|
My research focuses on studying the mechanisms underlying the control of ploidy levels in normal cells. In particular, I am interested in the roles of p53 and Rb in suppressing tetraploidy formation and how loss of p53 and Rb can result in uncontrolled genome reduplication in cells with impaired mitotic division. Tetraploidy cells may be precursors of aneuploidy cancer cells and are highly prevalent in many cancers. Not surprisingly, deregulated expression of chromosomal passenger proteins and mitotic regulators such as Aurora kinases, polo-kinases and survivin are the hallmarks of cancers. Using a combination of biochemical and genetic approaches, we seek to understand the exact molecular mechanisms that underlie tetraploidy formation and how cancer cells adapt to the genomic instability under these circumstances. This would help us in identifying new drug targets for therapeutic interventions.
- Cheok, C.F.*, Dey, A, Lane, D. P. CDK inhibitors sensitize tumor cells to nutlin-induced apoptosis. Molecular Cancer Research 2007 Nov;5(11):1133-45.
- Cheok, C.F.* and Lane, D.P. New developments in small molecules targeting p53 pathways in anticancer therapy. Drug Development Research 2008 Dec 9;69(6):289-96.
- Chew, J., Biswas, S., Shreeram, S., Humaidi, Wong, E.T., Dhillion M.K., Teo, H.L., Hazra, A., Cheok, C.F., Collazo, E.L., Bulavin, V., Tergaonkar, V. Wip1 phosphatase is a negative regulator of NFkB signaling. Nature Cell Biology 2009 May;11(5):659-66. Epub 2009 Apr 19.
- Dey, A., Cheok, C.F., Wong, E.T., Tergaonkar, V., Lane, D.P. R-Roscovitine simultaneously targets both the p53 and NF-kB pathway and causes potentiation of TNF∝ induced apoptosis: Implications in cancer therapy. Cell Death and Differentiation 2008 Feb;15(2):263-73.
- Camus, S., Menendez, S., Cheok, C.F., Stevenson, L.F., Lain, S., Lane, D.P. Ubiquitin-independent degradation of p53 mediated by high-risk human papillomavirus protein E6. Oncogene 2007 Jun 14;26(28):4059-70.
- Cheok, C.F., Wu, L., Janscak, P., Garcia, P.L., Hickson, I.D. The Bloom's syndrome helicase promotes annealing of complementary single strands of DNA. Nucleic Acids Res. 2005 Jul 15;33(12):3932-41.
* = corresponding author