Head of Department
Provost’s Chair, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, NUS
Head of Department, Department of Biochemistry, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, NUS.
Professor, Department of Biochemistry, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, NUS.
Professor, Department of Biological Sciences, Faculty of Sciences, NUS.
Director and Principal Investigator 'Singapore Lipidomics Incubator (SLING)', Life Sciences Institute, NUS.
Supervisor, NUS Graduate School for Integrative Sciences and Engineering (NGS), NUS.
Privatdozent, University of Basel, Switzerland.
Executive Editor, Progress in Lipid Research.
Application of lipid profiling ("lipidomics") as a novel and independent approach for the systems level scale analysis of biological systems.Current research projects:
(i) Concept, design and development of new generation integrated workflows ('wet' and 'dry', i.e. experimental and computational) for characterization of lipidomes ('model organisms to man').
(ii) Fundamental understanding of natural variation at the level of lipid metabolism (integration of lipid biochemistry with epidemiology and genetic variation).
Abstract of Publication: “ Lipidomics: New tools and applications”. Cell. 143(6):888-95
Once viewed simply as a reservoir for carbon storage, lipids are no longer cast as bystanders in the drama of biological systems. The emerging field of lipidomics is driven by technology, most notably mass spectrometry, but also by complementary approaches for the detection and characterization of lipids and their biosynthetic enzymes in living cells. The development of these integrated tools promises to greatly advance our understanding of the diverse biological roles of lipids.
- MR, Pellegrini L, Klenchin VA, Di Paolo G, Chang S, Daniell L, Arioka M, Martin TF, and De Camilli P (2001). PIP kinase Igamma is the major PI(4,5)P(2) synthesizing enzyme at the synapse. Neuron 32, 79-88.
- Wenk MR, Lucast L, Di Paolo G, Romanelli AJ, Suchy SF, Nussbaum RL, Cline GW, Shulman GI, McMurray W, and De Camilli P (2003). Phosphoinositide profiling in complex lipid mixtures using electrospray ionization mass spectrometry. Nat Biotechnol 21, 813-817.
- Wenk MR (2005). The emerging field of lipidomics. Nat Rev Drug Discov. 7: 594-610.
- Guan XL, Souza CM, Pichler H, Funato K, Wenk MR and Riezman H. (2009). Functional Interactions between Sphingolipids and Sterols in Biological Membranes Regulating Cell Physiology. Molecular Biology of the Cell 20(7), 2083-2095.
- Wenk MR (2010). Lipidomics: New tools and applications. Cell. 143(6):888-95
- Shui G, Bendt AK, Jappar IA, Lim HM, Laneelle M, Hervé M, Via LE, Chua GH, Bratschi MW, Rahim SZ, Michelle AL, Hwang SH, Lee JS, Eum SY, Kwak HK, Daffé M, Dartois V, Michel G, Barry CE 3rd, Wenk MR (2012). Mycolic acids as diagnostic markers for tuberculosis case detection in humans and drug efficacy in mice. EMBO Mol Med 4(1):27-37