Adjunct Professor, Department of Biochemistry, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, NUS.
Principal Investigator, Institute of Molecular & Cell Biology, A*STAR.
Supervisors, NUS Graduate School for Integrative Sciences and Engineering (NGS), NUS.
|Degree and Institution||Year(s)|
|PhD, Institute of Molecular & Cell Biology, A*STAR||1993|
PRL-1 (Phosphatase induced in Regenerating Liver) was identified in 1994 as a gene up-regulated during liver regeneration after partial hepatectomy. We identified PRL-2 & PRL-3 and demonstrated that PRL-1, PRL-2 and PRL-3 are membrane-associated through lipid modification termed prenylation. Among all the human protein tyrosine phosphatases (PTPs), only PRL-1, PRL-2 and PRL-3 are prenylated and represent an oncogenic PRL-family associated with multiple human cancers. Genomic studies have revealed that PRL-3 is a metastasis-associated phosphatase because it is consistently over-expressed in metastatic colorectal cancer cells (CRC). We have been focusing on the role of PRL-3 and its underlying molecular mechanism in cancer development, progression, and metastasis. We generated specific mouse monoclonal antibodies against PRL-3 and PRL-1, which allowed us to examine their expression in various human cancers. PRL-3 is clearly overexpressed in a variety of cancers. PRL-3 promotes cell migration, invasion and metastasis, partly through its role in promoting Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transition. PRL-3 may initiate tumor angiogenesis as PRL-3 expressing cells are able to recruit endothelial cells. Recent work on PRL-3 phosphatase will also be discussed.
- Wang, H., Vardy, L., Tan, C.P., Loo, J.M., Guo, K., Li, J., Lim, S.G., Zhou, J., Chng, W.J., Ng, S.B., Li, H.X., and Zeng, Q. (2010) PCBP1 Suppresses the Translation of Metastasis-Associated PRL-3 Phosphatase. Cancer Cell 18, 52-62, July 13.
- Tang, J.P.*, Tan, C.P.*, Li, J.*, Siddique, M.M., Guo, K., Chan, S.W., Park, J.E., Tay, W.N., Huang, Z.Y., Li, W.C., Chen, J., and Zeng, Q. (2010) VHZ is a novel centrosomal phosphatase associated with cell growth and human primary cancers. Molecular Cancer 9:128. *equal first authors
- Abdul Qader O. Al-Aidaroos and Zeng, Q. (Prospect, 2010). PRL-3 Phosphatase and Cancer Metastasis J. Cell. Biochem. 111:1087–1098
- Guo, K.*, Li, J.*, Tang, J.P.*, Tan, C.P., Hong, C.W., Al-Aidaroos, A.Q., Varghese, L., Huang, C., Zeng, Q. (2011) Targeting Intracellular Oncoproteins with Antibody Therapy or vaccination. Science Translational Medicine 3(99):99ra85. (Proposed the new concept of unconventional Immunotherapies to target intracellular oncoproteins). *equal first authors
- Guo, K.*, Tang, J.P.*, Jie, L.*, Al-Aidaroos, Cheng William Hong, Cheng Peow Bobby Tan, Jung Eun Park, Leyon Varghese, Zhiwei Feng, Jianbiao Zhou, Wee Joo Chng and Zeng, Q. (2012) First Chimeric Antibody in Targeting Intracellular Oncoprotein for Cancer Therapy in Mice. Oncotarget 3: 158-67. *equal first authors
- Cheng William Hong and Zeng, Q. (Invited review, 2012). Awaiting a New Era of Cancer Immunotherapy. Cancer Research 72(15)
- Al-aidaroos, A.Q., Yuen, H.F., Guo, K., Zhang, S.D., Chung, T.H., Chng, W.J., and Qi Zeng (2013). PRL-3 induces EGFR activation and addiction in human cancer cells. Journal of Clinical Investigation, 1 Aug issue (cover).
- Park, J.E., Yuen, H.F., Zhou, J.B., Al-aidaroos, A.Q., Guo, K., Valk, P.J., Zhang, S.D., Chng, W.J., Hong, C.W., Mills, K., and Qi Zeng (2013). An oncogenic role of PRL-3 in FLT3-ITD Induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia. EMBO Mol Med 5:1-17.
- Yu-Han Huang*, Abdul Qader O Al-aidaroos*, Hiu-Fung Yuen*, Shu-Dong Zhang, Han-Ming Shen, Ewelina Rozycka,Cian M McCrudden, Vinay Tergaonkar, Abhishek Gupta, You Bin Lin, Jean Paul Thiery, James T Murray, and Qi Zeng (2014). A role of autophagy in PTP4A3-driven cancer progression. Autophagy 10:10. *equal first authors
- Zu Ye, Abdul Qader Omer Al-aidaroos, Jung Eun Park, Hiu Fung Yuen, Shu Dong Zhang, Abhishek Gupta, Youbin Lin, Han-Ming Shen and Qi Zeng (2015). Scientific Reports, 5:17046 | DOI: 10.1038/srep17046
- H Wang, B Liu, AQO Al-Aidaroos, H Shi, L Li, K Guo, J Li, BCP Tan, JM Loo, JP Tang, M Thura and Q Zeng (2016). Dual-faced SH3BGRL: oncogenic in mice, tumor suppressive in humans. Oncogene 35, 3303-3313
- Min Thura, Abdul Qader Omer Al-Aidaroos, Wei Peng Yong ,Koji Kono, Abhishek Gupta, You Bin Lin, Kousaku Mimura, Jean Paul Thiery, Boon Cher Goh, Patrick Tan, Ross Soo, Cheng William Hong, Lingzhi Wang, Suling Joyce Lin, Elya Chen, Sun Young Rha, Hyun Cheol Chung, Jie Li, Sayantani Nandi, Hiu Fung Yuen, Shu-Dong Zhang, Yeoh Khay Guan, Jimmy So and Qi Zeng. PRL3-zumab, a first-in-class humanized antibody for cancer therapy. JCI Insight1(9):e87607. doi:10.1172/jci.insight.87607