Daniel Martin MESSERSCHMIDT
Adjunct Assistant Professor
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Biochemistry, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, NUS
Principal Investigator, Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, A*STAR
|Degree and Institution||Year(s)|
|Ph.D. - Max Planck Institute for Immunobiology and Epigenetics, Freiburg, Germany||2004|
|Master - Max Planck Institute for Developmental Biology, Tubingen, Germany||2009|
|Position and Institute||Year(s)|
|Principal Investigator, Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, A*STAR, Singapore||2014-present|
|Junior Investigator, Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, A*STAR, Singapore||2013-2014|
|Senior Research Fellow, Institute of Medical Biology, A*STAR, Singapore||2012-2013|
|Research Fellow, Institute of Medical Biology, A*STAR, Singapore||2009-2012|
|Ph.D. Max Planck Institute, Freiburg, Germany||2004-2009|
The transmission and modification of epigenetic information between generations is one of the most puzzling questions in embryonic research. A major step towards solving this question was uncovering the function of the TRIM28 complex as a protector of imprinting marks during oocyte to embryo transition. Our previous work established TRIM28 as a very tractable model in which to study reprogramming mechanisms and to pick apart the epigenetic mechanisms required for the generation of the toti-/pluripotent states of early embryonic development. TRIM28 function is not restricted to protecting imprints but is also involved in numerous other epigenetic and transcriptional aspects of the embryo. Its loss causes multiple, overlapping defects. Isolating and segregating these will provide a detailed understanding of the epigenetic requirements during genomic reprogramming in the mammalian preimplantation embryo.
- Lih Feng Cheow, Stephen R. Quake, William F. Burkholder, Daniel M. Messerschmidt. ‘Multiplexed locus-specific analysis of DNA methylation in single cells’. Nature Protocols, in press
- Daniel M. Messerschmidt*, Barbara B. Knowles, Davor Solter. 'DNA-methylation dynamics and functions during mammalian development’. Genes Dev. 2014 Apr 15;28(8):812-28., *corresponding author
- Chanchao Lorthongpanich, Lih Feng Cheow, Sathish Balu, Stephen R. Quake, Barbara B. Knowles, William F. Burkholder, Davor Solter, Daniel M. Messerschmidt. ‘Single-cell analysis reveals epigenetic chimerism in preimplantation embryos’. Science. 2013 Sep 6;341(6150):1110-2.
- Ai Khim Lim, Chanchao Lorthongpanich, Ting Gang Chew, Chin Wee Godwin Tan, Yan Ting Shue, Satomi Kuramochi-Miyagawa, Martin Matzuk, Shinichiro Chuma, Daniel M. Messerschmidt, Davor Solter, Barbara Knowles. ‘The nuage mediates retrotransposon silencing in mouse primordial ovarian follicles’. Development. 2013 Sep;140(18):3819-25. Epub 2013 Aug 7
- Chanchao Lorthongpanich, Daniel M. Messerschmidt, Siew Wee Chan, Wanjin Hong, Barbara B. Knowles, Davor Solter. ‘Temporal reduction of LATS kinases in the early preimplantation embryo prevents ICM-lineage differentiation’. Genes Dev. 2013 Jul 1;27(13):1441-6.
- Dang Vinh Do, Jun Ueda, Daniel M. Messerschmidt, Chanchao Lorthongpanich, Yi Zhou, Bo Feng, Guoji Guo, Peiyu J. Lin, Md Zakir Hossain, Wenjun Zhang, Akira Moh, Qiang Wu, Paul Robson, Huck Hui Ng, Lorenz Poellinger, Barbara B. Knowles, Davor Solter, Xin-Yuan Fu. ‘A genetic and developmental pathway from STAT3 to the OCT4–NANOG circuit is essential for maintenance of ICM lineages in vivo’. Genes Dev. 2013 Jun 15;27(12):1378-90.
- Daniel M. Messerschmidt. ‘Should I Stay or Should I Go: Protection and Maintenance of DNA Methylation at Imprinted Genes’. Epigenetics. 2012 Sep;7(9):969-75. Epub 2012 Aug 7
- Daniel M. Messerschmidt*, Wilhelmine deVries, Mitsuteru Ito, Davor Solter, Anne Ferguson-Smith, Barbara B. Knowles. ‘Trim28 is required for epigenetic stability during oocyte to embryo transition’. Science. 2012 Mar 23;335(6075):1499-502., *corresponding author
- Daniel M. Messerschmidt* and Rolf Kemler. Nanog is required for primitive endoderm formation through a non-cell autonomous mechanism. Dev Biol. 2010 Aug 1;344(1):129-37. Epub 2010 May 12., *corresponding author
- Daria Onichtchouk, Florian Geier, Bozena Polok, Daniel M. Messerschmidt, Rebecca Moessner, Bjoern Wendik, Sungim Song, Verdon Taylor, Jens Timmer, Wolfgang Driever. ‘Zebrafish Pou5f1-dependent transcriptional networks in temporal control of early development.’ Mol Syst Biol. 2010;6:354. Epub 2010 Mar 9.
- Min Zheng, Daniel M. Messerschmidt, Benno Jungblut, Ralf Sommer (2005). ‘Diversification of Wnt signalling function during the evolution of nematode vulva development: activation vs. repression in C.elegans and P. pacificus’. Nat Genet. 2005 Mar;37(3):300-4. Epub 2005 Feb 6.