Honorary Joint Associate Professor
Honorary Joint Associate Professor, Department of Biochemistry, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, NUS.
Head, Laboratory of Metabolic Medicine, Singapore Bioimaging Consortium, A*STAR.
|Degree and Institution||Year(s)|
|Nankai University, Tianjin, China||1986-1991|
|Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA||1992-1996|
|Position and Institute||Year(s)|
|Deputy Director, Singapore Bioimaging Consortium, A*STAR, Singapore||2012 - Present|
|Head, Laboratory of Metabolic Medicine||2008 - Present|
Research in my lab aims to understand the molecular basis of diabetes and its link to cognitive impairment, to discover and validate targets for drug development, and to develop diabetic mouse models for evaluation of therapeutic interventions. We use molecular genetics, cell biology, and physiology techniques to analyze genetically modified animals and cell lines.
The major research projects are:
* Molecular mechanisms of endocrine hormone secretion
* Molecular control of regulated exocytosis in adipocytes
* Effects of post-translational modifications on protein functions in hormone secretion and synaptic transmission.
* Molecular and cellular mechanisms of adipogenesis and its link to diabetes
- Lim CY, Bi X, Wu D, Kim JB, Gunning PW, Hong W, Han W: Tropomodulin 3 is a novel Akt2 effector regulating GLUT4 exocytosis. Nature Communications 6:5951 doi: 10.1038/ncomms6951, 2015.
- Li H, Wei S, Cheng K, Gounko NV, Ericksen RE, Xu A, Hong W, Han W: BIG3 inhibits insulin granule biogenesis and insulin secretion. The EMBO Reports 15(6):714-722, 2014.
- Yang W, Thein S, Wang X, Bi X, Ericksen RE, Xu F, Han W: BSCL2/Seipin regulates adipogenesis through actin cytoskeleton remodeling. Human Molecular Genetics 23(2):502-513, 2014.
- Han W, Chuang K-H, Chang YT, Olivo M, Velan SS, Townsend D, Bhakoo K, Radda GK: Imaging metabolic syndrome. EMBO Molecular Medicine 2(6):196-210, 2010.
- Gustavsson N, Wei S-H, Hoang DN, Lao Y, Zhang Q, Radda GK, Rorsman P, Südhof TC, Han W: Synaptotagmin-7 is a principal Ca2+-sensor for Ca2+-induced glucagon exocytosis in pancreas. The Journal of Physiology 587(6):1169-1178, 2009.
- Gustavsson N, Lao Y, Maximov A, Chuang J-C, Kostromina E, Repa J, Li C, Radda GK, Südhof TC, Han W: Impaired insulin secretion and glucose intolerance in synaptotagmin-7 null mutant mice. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 105:3992-3997, 2008.