Adjunct Associate Professor
Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Biochemistry, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, NUS.
Principal Investigator, Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, A*STAR.
|Degree and Institution||Year(s)|
|PhD, ICGEB Trieste, Italy||2004|
|Position and Institute||Year(s)|
|Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Biochemistry, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, NUS||2015-Present|
|Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Biochemistry, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, NUS||2008-2014|
|Assistant Professor, Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, A*STAR||2008-Present|
Any cell in an organism derives from the same starting genetic material. Functional distinction between cell types is acquired through sequential epigenetic modifications that shape chromatin and in turn affect transcription and cellular state. DNA methylation and Post-translational modifications (PTMs) of histones convey epigenetic information that extends the coding potential of nucleic acids, a phenomenon that has been commonly referred to as “histone code”. These PTMs are regulated and in turn influence the role of key transcription factors such as Myc. The interplay between these transcription factors, chromatin modifying enzymes and chromatin structure is of central importance in normal cell homeostasis and cancer. The long-term objective of the lab is a) to investigate the role of Arginine and Lysines Methyltransferases (PRMTs and HMTs), two families of transcriptional co-activators/repressors that target histones, in shaping of epigenetic landscapes and cellular identity and b) to assess the role of PRMTs and HMTs in epigenetic deregulation linked to cancer.
- Arginine/lysine-methyl/methyl switches: biochemical role of histone arginine methylation in transcriptional regulation Migliori V, Phalke S, Bezzi M, Guccione E. Epigenomics, Volume 2, Number 1, February 2010, pp. 119-137(19).
- Pistoni M, Verrecchia A, Doni M, Guccione E, Amati B. Chromatin association and regulation of rDNA transcription by the Ras-family protein RasL11a.Link. EMBO J. 2010 Apr 7;29(7):1215-24. Epub 2010 Feb 18.
- Bua DJ, Kuo AJ, Cheung P, Liu CL, Migliori V, Espejo A, Casadio F, Bassi C, Amati B, Bedford MT, Guccione E, Gozani O. Epigenome microarray platform forproteome-wide dissection of chromatin-signaling networks.Link PLoS One. 2009 Aug 26;4(8):e6789.
- Martinato F, Cesaroni M, Amati B * & Guccione E*. Analysis of Myc induced chromatin modifications on target chromatin PLoS One. 2008;3(11):e3650. Epub 2008 Nov 5.
- Guccione E, Bassi C, Casadio F, Martinato F, Cesaroni M, Schuchlautz H, Lüscher B &Amati B. Methylation of histone H3R2 by PRMT6 and H3K4 by an MLL complex are mutually exclusive Nature. 2007 Oct 18;449(7164):933-7.
- Guccione E, Martinato F, Finocchiaro G, Luzi L, Tizzoni L, Dall’Olio V, Zardo G, Nervi C, Bernard L and Amati B. Myc-binding-site recognition in the human genome is determined by chromatin context. Nature Cell Biology. 2006 Jul;8(7):764-70. Epub 2006 Jun 11
* = corresponding author