Assistant Professor, Department of Biochemistry, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, NUS.
Academic editor, PLoS ONE (from 2010).
|Degree and Institution||Year(s)|
|Ph.D National University of Singapore||1998-2002|
|M.Sc Wuhan University, China||1992-1995|
|B.Agri. Huazhong Agricultural University, China||1986-1990|
|Position and Institute||Year(s)|
|Assistant Professor, Dept. of Biochemistry, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, NUS||2009–present|
|Research associate, The Gurdon Institute, University of Cambridge (Advisor: Prof Magdalena Zernicka-Goetz)||2006–2008|
|Postdoctoral fellow. Genome Institute of Singapore (Advisor: Professor Ng Huck Hui)||2003-2006|
Embryonic stem (ES) cells and induced pluripotent stem (iPS) cells are pluripotent as they exhibit the ability to differentiate into most of the specialized cell types. Pluripotent stem cells also possess many other striking features including self-renewal, high dependence on glycolysis and limited cellular senescence. Thus we are keen to use pluripotent stem cells as our model to study the underlying mechanism of pluripotency maintenance and differentiation. We have identified several novel zinc finger transcription factors and chromatin modifiers which are important in stem cell identity and reprogramming. Our long term goal is to harness pluripotent stem cells in studies on diverse biological process such as aging, metabolic shift and disease modelling. We will focus on dissecting functions of novel genetic and epigenetic factors with a combination of molecular, cellular and live imaging approaches.
- Yu S, Ma H, Ow JR, Goh Z, Chiang R, Yang H#, Loh YH# and Wu Q#. Zfp553 is essential for maintenance and acquisition of pluripotency. Stem Cells and Development 2015 Oct 1. Epub ahead of print.
- Ma H, Ow JR, Tan BC, Goh Z, Feng B, Loh YH, Fedele M#, Li H# and Wu Q#. The dosage of Patz1 modulates reprogramming process. Scientific Reports 2014 Dec 17;4:7519.
- Yang W, Lee YH, Jones AE, Woolnough JL, Zhou D, Dai Q, Wu Q, Giles KE, Townes TM and Wang H. The histone H2A deubiquitinase Usp16 regulates embryonic stem cell gene expression and lineage commitment. Nature Communications 2014 May 2;5:3818.
- Ow JR, Ma H, Jean A, Lee YH, Chong YM, Soong R, Fu XY, Yang H# and Wu Q#. Patz1 regulates embryonic stem cell identity. Stem Cells and Development 2014 23 (10):1062-1073 .
- Ma H, Ng HM, Teh X, Li H, Lee YH, Chong YM, Loh YH, Collins JJ, Feng B, Yang H# and Wu Q#. Zfp322a regulates mouse ES cell pluripotency and enhances reprogramming efficiency. PLoS Genetics 2014 10(2):e1004038.
- Do DV, Ueda J, Messerschmidt DM, Lorthongpanich C, Zhou Y, Feng B, Guo G, Lin PJ, Hossain MZ, Zhang W, Moh A, Wu Q, Robson P, Ng HH, Poellinger L, Knowles BB, Solter D and Fu XY. A genetic and developmental pathway from STAT3 to the OCT4-NANOG circuit is essential for maintenance of ICM lineages in vivo. Genes & Development 2013 27:1378-1390.
- Ma H, Ow JR, Chen X and Wu Q#. With or without them: essential roles of cofactors in ES Cells. Journal of Stem Cell Research & Therapy 2012 S10:006.
- Lee YH, Ma H, Tan TZ, Ng SS, Soong R, Mori S, Fu XY, Zernicka-Goetz M and Wu Q#. Protein arginine methyltransferase 6 regulates Embryonic Stem cell identity. Stem Cells and Development 2012 21(14):2613-2622.
- Wu Q# and Ng HH#. Mark the transition: chromatin modifications and cell fate decision. Cell Research 2011 21(10):1388-1390.
- Lee YH and Wu Q#. Chromatin regulation landscape of embryonic stem cell identity. Bioscience Reports 2011 31(2):77-86.
- Wu Q*, Bruce AW*, Jedrusik A, Ellis PD, Andrews RM, Langford CF, Glover DM and Zernicka-Goetz M. CARM1 is required in ES cells to maintain pluripotency and resist differentiation. Stem Cells 2009 27(11):2637-2645.
- Wu Q *, Chen X *, Zhang J, Loh YH, Low TY, Zhang W, Zhang W, Sze SK, Lim B, and Ng HH. Sall4 Interacts with Nanog and Co-occupies Nanog Genomic Sites in Embryonic Stem Cells. Journal of Biological Chemistry 2006 (281):24090-24094.
- Loh YH*, Wu Q *, Chew JL*, Vega VB, Zhang W, Chen X, Bourque G, George J, Leong B, Liu J, Wong KY, Sung KW, Lee CWH, Zhao XD, Chiu KP, Lipovich L, Kuznetsov VA, Robson P, Stanton LW, Wei CL, Ruan Y, Lim B & Ng HH. The Oct4 and Nanog transcription network regulates pluripotency in mouse embryonic stem cells. Nature Genetics 2006 (38):431-440.
- Wei CL, Wu Q, Vega V, Chiu KP, Ng P, Zhang T, Shahab A, Ridwan A, Fu YT, Weng Z, Liu JJ, Kuznetsov VA, Sung K, Lim B, Liu ET, Yu Q, Ng HH and Ruan Y. The precise global map of p53 transcription factor binding sites in the human genome. Cell 2006 (124):207-219.