|Associate Professor, Department of Biochemistry, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, NUS.
|Degree and Institution
|PhD, Department of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge, UK
|B.Sc, National Taiwan University
|Position and Institute
|Associate Professor, Dept. of Biochemistry, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore
|Assistant Professor, Dept. of Biochemistry, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore
|International Research Fellow, A*STAR, Singapore
|Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Research Fellow, USA
|Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Dept of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, USA
Deng Lih Wen’s current research interests focuses on understanding the cellular and molecular mechanism in cancer development and developing novel targets for therapeutic cancer intervention including following research areas:
1. Cell cycle regulation, genomic instability and chromatin dynamics in cancer development.
2. Pathogenesis of HPV-associated cervical cancer.
3. Development of novel therapeutic strategy for HPV-associated cervical cancer.
4. Therapeutic potential of targeting cancer metabolism and tumor microenvironment.
5. Cancer oxidative stress and glutathione homeostasis.
- Zhao W, Liu J, Zhang XM & Deng LW. (2016) MLL5 maintains spindle bipolarity by preventing aberrant cytosolic aggregation of PLK1. Journal of Cell Biology, 212: 829-843 (5-Yr Impact Factor = 10.77) DOI: 10.1083/jcb.201501021
- Liang D, Wang C, Tocmo R, Wu H, Deng LW and Huang D (2015) Hydrogen sulfide (H2S) releasing capacity of essential oils isolated from organosulfur rich fruits and vegetables. Journal of Functional Foods, 14: 634–640 (5-Yr Impact Factor = 3.9) DOI:10.1016/j.jff.2015.02.007
- Feng W, Teo X, Novera W, Ramanujulu PM, Dong L, Huang D, Moore PK, Deng LW, Dymock BW. (2015) Discovery of new H2S releasing phosphordithioates and 2,3-dihydro-2-phenyl-2-sulfanylenebenzo[d][1,3,2]oxazaphospholes with improved anti-proliferative activity. J Med Chem. 58(16):6456-80 (5-Yr Impact Factor = 5.4) DOI: 10.1021/acs.jmedchem.5b00848
- Nin DS, Huang W, Ali M, Yew CW, Kutateladze TG and Deng LW (2014) O-GlcNAcylation of MLL5β is essential for MLL5β-AP1 transcription complex assembly at the HPV16/18 Long Control Region. Journal of Molecular Cell Biology (In Press) (5-Yr IF = 9.0) DOI: 10.1093/jmcb/mjv009
- Nin DS, Yew CW, Tay SK & Deng LW (2014) Targeted silencing of MLL5β inhibits tumor growth and promotes gamma-irradiation sensitization in HPV16/18-associated cervical cancers. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics 13(11):2572-82. (5-Yr IF = 5.9) (Highlighted by Editorial Board) DOI: 10.1158/1535-7163.MCT-14-0019
- Wu H, Krishnakumar S, Liang D, Yu J, Qi H, Lee ZW, Deng LW* & Huang D* (*co-corresponding authors) (2014) Highly selective and sensitive near infrared fluorescent probes for detection of cellular hydrogen sulfide and imaging of H2S in mice. Chem-Asian J (In press) (5-Yr IF = 4.1) DOI: 10.1002/asia.201402860
- Lee ZW, Teo XY, Tay EY, Tan CH, Hagen T, Moore PK, Deng LW. (2014) Utilizing hydrogen sulfide as a novel anti-cancer agent by targeting cancer glycolysis and pH imbalance. Br J Pharmacol. 171(18):4322-36. (5-Yr IF = 5.0) DOI: 10.1111/bph.12773
- Lee ZW, Low YL, Huang S, Wang T, Deng LW. (2014) Cystathionine-γ-lyase/hydrogen sulfide system maintains cellular glutathione status. Biochem J. 460 (3):425-435. (5-Yr IF = 5.0) (Highlighted by Editorial Board with online podcast) DOI: 10.1042/BJ20131434
- Song ZJ, Ng MY, Lee ZW, Dai W, Hagen T, Moore PK, Huang D, Deng LW, Tan CH (2014) Hydrogen sulfide donors in research and drug development. MedChemComm 5 (5); 557-570. (5-Yr IF = 2.7). DOI: 10.1039/C3MD00362K
- Ali M, Rincón-Arano H, Zhao W, Rothbart SB, Tong Q, Parkhurst SM, Strahl BD, Deng LW, Groudine M, Kutateladze TG. (2013) Molecular basis for chromatin binding and regulation of MLL5. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 110(28):11296-11301.(5-Yr IF = 10.7) DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1310156110
- Yan Y, Krishnakumar S, Yu H, Ramishetti S, Deng LW, Wang S, Huang L & Huang D (2013). Nickel(II) dithiocarbamate complexes containing sulforhodamine B as fluorescent probes for selective detection of nitrogen dioxide. J Am Chem Soc, 135(14):5312-5315. (5-Yr IF= 11.0). DOI: 10.1021/ja401555y
- Liu J, Cheng F & Deng LW. (2012) MLL5 Maintains Genomic Integrity by Regulating the Stability of the Chromosomal Passenger Complex via a Functional Interaction with Borealin. Journal of Cell Science. 125(Pt 19):4676-4685. (5-Yr IF = 6.0) [Highlighted by Editorial Board in the issue of 2012 Oct 1, 125 (19)] DOI: 10.1242/jcs.110411
- Gao S, Wang Q, Wang G, Lomenick B, Liu J, Fan CW, Deng LW, Huang J, Lum L & Chen C. (2012) The chemistry and Biology of Nakiterpiosin. Synlett16(23):2298-2310. (5-Yr IF = 2.2) DOI: 10.1055/s-0031-1290460
- Yew CW, Lee P, Chan WK, Lim KJ, Tay SK, Tan MC & Deng LW. (2011) A novel MLL5 isoform that is essential to activate E6 and E7 transcription in HPV16/18-associated cervical cancers. Cancer Research 71(21):6696-6707. (5-Yr IF = 9.0) (Highlighted in “Faculty of 1000 Biology”, 19th Sep 2011) DOI: 10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-11-1271
- Ye F, Tan L, Yang Q, Xia Y, Deng LW, Murata-Hori M & Liou YC. (2011) The K-fiber localization of HURP is important for chromosome congression in a Kif18A dependent manner. Current Biology 21(18):1584-1591. (5-Yr IF = 10.2) DOI:10.1016/j.cub.2011.08.024
- Lee ZW, Tan CH, Chen CS, Li L, Moore PK & Deng LW. (2011) The slow-releasing hydrogen sulfide donor, GYY4137, exhibits novel anti-cancer effects in vitro and in vivo. PLoS One 6(6):e21077. (5-Yr IF = 4.0) (57 citations within 3 yrs) DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0021077
- Cheng F, Liu J, Teh C, Chong SW, Korzh V, Jiang YJ & Deng LW. (2011) Camptothecin-induced down-regulation of MLL5 contributes to the activation of tumor suppressor p53. Oncogene 30(33):3599-3611. (5-Yr IF= 7.7) DOI:10.1038/onc.2011.71
- Yong QC, Cheong JL, Hua F, Deng LW, Khoo YM, Lee HS, Perry A, Wood M, Whiteman M & Bian JS. (2011) Regulation of heart function by endogenous gaseous mediators: Cross-talk between nitric oxide and hydrogen sulfide. Antioxid Redox Signal 14(11):2081-2091. (5-Yr IF = 8.5). DOI: 10.1089/ars.2010.3572
- Chen MJ, Peng ZF, Manikandan J, Melendez AJ, Tan GS, Chung MC, Tan TM, Russo-Marie F, Deng LW, Moore PK & Cheung NS. (2010) Gene profiling reveal hydrogen sulphide recruits death signaling via the N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor identifying commonalities with excitotoxicity. J Cell Physiol 226(5):1308-1322. (5-Yr IF = 3.8). DOI: 10.1002/jcp.22459
- Liu J, Wang XN, Cheng F, Liou YC & Deng LW. (2010) Phosphorylation of Mixed Lineage Leukemia 5 by Cdc2 affects its cellular distribution and is required for mitotic entry. J Biol Chem 285(27):20904-20914. (5-Yr IF= 4.9) DOI: 10.1074/jbc.M109.098558
- Huang S, Chua JH, Yew WS, Sivaraman J, Moore PK, Tan CH & Deng LW. (2010) Site-directed mutagenesis on human cystathionine-gamma-lyase reveals insights into the modulation of H2S production. J Mol Biol 396(3):708-718. (5-Yr IF = 3.8) DOI:10.1016/j.jmb.2009.11.058
- Sun Q, Collins R, Huang S, Holmberg-Schiavone L, Anand GS, Tan CH, van-den-Berg S, Deng LW, Moore PK, Karlberg T & Sivaraman J. (2009) Structural basis for the inhibition mechanism of human cystathionine gamma-lyase, an enzyme responsible for the production of H2S. J Biol Chem 284(5):3076-3085. (5-Yr IF = 4.9) DOI: 10.1074/jbc.M805459200
- Cheng F, Liu J, Zhou SH, Wang XN, Chew JF & Deng LW. (2008) RNA interference against mixed lineage leukemia 5 resulted in cell cycle arrest. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 40(11):2472-2481. (5-Yr IF= 4.6) DOI:10.1016/j.biocel.2008.04.012
- Deng LW, Chiu I & Strominger JL. (2004) MLL 5 protein forms intranuclear foci, and over-expression inhibits cell cycle progression. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 101(3):757-762. (5-Yr IF = 10.7) DOI: 10.1073/pnas.2036345100
- Malik P, Klimovitsky P, Deng LW, Boyson JE & Strominger JL. (2002) Uniquely conformed peptide-containing b2-microglobulin-free heavy chains of HLA-B2705 on the cell surface. J Immunol 169(8):4379-4387. (5-Yr IF= 5.6) DOI: 10.4049/jimmunol.169.8.4379
- Deng LW & Perham RN. (2002) Delineating the site of interaction on the pIII protein of filamentous bacteriophage fd with the F-pilus of Escherichia coli. J Mol Biol 319(3):603-614. (5-Yr IF = 3.8) DOI:10.1016/S0022-2836(02)00260-7
- Deng LW, Malik P & Perham RN. (1999) Interaction of the globular domains of pIII protein of filamentous bacteriophage fd with the F-pilus of Escherichia coli. Virology 253(2):271-277. (5-Yr IF= 3.2) DOI:10.1006/viro.1998.9509
- Fanutti C, Del Pozzo G, De Berardinis P, Guardiola J, Deng LW & Perham RN. (1998) Phage-display of antigenic peptides applied to vaccine design. Biochem Soc Trans 26(1):S8 (5-Yr IF = 3.2) DOI: 10.1042/bst026s008