Maxey Ching Ming CHUNG
Deputy Head of Department
Associate Professor, Department of Biochemistry, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, NUS.
Council Member, HUPO.
Council Member, AOHUPO.
Senior Editor, Proteomics.
Senior Editor, Proteomics - Clinical Applications.
Editorial Board, Journal of Proteome Research.
Editorial Board, Journal of Proteomics.
Editorial Board, Journal of Translational Proteomics.
|Degree and Institution||Year(s)|
|PhD, Victoria University of Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand||1977|
|MSc, (Hons) Victoria University of Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand||1973|
|BSc, Victoria University of Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand||1972|
|Position and Institute||Year(s)|
|Deputy Head, Department of Biochemistry||April 2016-Present|
|Acting Head, Department of Biochemistry||July 2015-Mar 2016|
|Deputy Head, Department of Biochemistry||2011-2012|
|Associate Professor, Department of Biological Sciences||2006-2015|
|Associate Professor, Department of Biochemistry, NUS||1998-Present|
|Head, DNA/Peptide/Proteomics Laboratory, Bioprocessing Technology Centre (BTC), NUS||1990-2002|
|Deputy Director, Bioprocessing Technology Unit (BTU)||1993-1995|
|Senior Lecturer, Department of Biochemistry, NUS||1986-1997|
|Lecturer, Department of Biochemistry, NUS||1983-1985|
|Research Fellow, Department of Physical Biochemistry, John Curtin of Medical Research, The Australian National University, Canberra, Australia||1980-1983|
|Lecturer, University of Agriculture, Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia||1978-1980|
Our main interest is in the application of Proteomics in the study of human diseases, especially in the discovery of novel biomarkers for their early detection. This is because the morbidity of many diseases is largely due to late diagnosis as a result of a lack of specific and sensitive biomarkers. In addition, the current thinking is that a panel of multiple biomarkers, rather than a single biomarker, will be needed for the diagnosis of a complex, multi-gene disease like cancer. Proteomics, being a high throughput method that can profile differentially expressed and/or modified proteins at a global scale, is considered to be well suited for this task. In fact the profiling of proteins from serum/plasma, saliva, urine, and gastric juice etc, to search for new biomarkers is restricted to Proteomics only as these biofluids do not have corresponding transcriptomes in which gene expression can be measured. To facilitate this work, we have established the Onco Proteomics Centre (OPC). The pipeline of Proteomics platform technologies developed include 2-D DIGE, 2-D LC, ICAT, iTRAQ, MALDI-TOF/TOF MS and bioinformatics (SPLASH). As a result, several biomarker discovery projects on gastrointestinal (GI) cancers are carried out in collaboration with clinicians.
Current projects include:
* Identification of prognostic biomarkers for hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC).
* Proteomics identification of proteins involved in colorectal cancer metastases.
* Discovery of gastric cancer biomarkers from gastric juice and sera.
* Proteomics analysis of gastric and colorectal cancer secretomes.
* Discovery of biomarkers for mitral valve prolapse.
* Proteome analysis of mesocarp tissues from oil palm fruit.
- Tan HT, Lim TK, Richards AM, Kofidis T, Teoh KL, Ling LH, Chung MC. Unravelling the proteome of degenerative human mitral valves. Proteomics. 2015 Apr 24. doi: 10.1002/pmic.201500040. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 25914152.
- Ong CW, Chong PY, McArt DG, Chan JY, Tan HT, Kumar AP, Chung MC, Clément MV, Soong R, Van Schaeybroeck S, Waugh DJ, Johnston PG, Dunne PD, Salto-Tellez M. The prognostic value of the stem-like group in colorectal cancer using a panel of immunohistochemistry markers. Oncotarget. 2015 May 20;6(14):12763-73. PubMed PMID: 25906747.
- Wu W, Tan XF, Tan HT, Lim TK, Chung MC. Unbiased proteomic and transcript analyses reveal that stathmin-1 silencing inhibits colorectal cancer metastasis and sensitizes to 5-fluorouracil treatment. Mol Cancer Res. 2014 Dec;12(12):1717-28. doi: 10.1158/1541-7786.MCR-14-0088-T. Epub 2014 Jul 25. PubMed PMID: 25063586.
- Tan GS, Lim KH, Tan HT, Khoo ML, Tan SH, Toh HC, Ching Ming Chung M. Novel proteomic biomarker panel for prediction of aggressive metastatic hepatocellular carcinoma relapse in surgically resectable patients. J Proteome Res. 2014 Nov 7;13(11):4833-46. doi: 10.1021/pr500229n. Epub 2014 Jun 30. PubMed PMID: 24946162.
- Chaiyarit S, Singhto N, Chen YJ, Cheng CY, Chiangjong W, Kanlaya R, Lam HH, Peerapen P, Sung TY, Tipthara P, Pandey A, Poon TC, Chen YJ, Sirdeshmukh R, Chung MC, Thongboonkerd V. Chromosome-centric Human Proteome Project (C-HPP): Chromosome 12. J Proteome Res. 2014 Jul 3;13(7):3160-5. doi: 10.1021/pr500009j. Epub 2014 Jun 24. PubMed PMID: 24831074.
- Lee SC, Tan HT, Chung MC. Prognostic biomarkers for prediction of recurrence of hepatocellular carcinoma: current status and future prospects. World J Gastroenterol. 2014 Mar 28;20(12):3112-24. doi: 10.3748/wjg.v20.i12.3112. Review. PubMed PMID: 24696598; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3964383.
- Lin Q, Tan HT, Lim TK, Khoo A, Lim KH, Chung MC. iTRAQ analysis of colorectal cancer cell lines suggests Drebrin (DBN1) is overexpressed during liver metastasis. Proteomics. 2014 Jun;14(11):1434-43. doi: 10.1002/pmic.201300462. Epub 2014 Apr 17. PubMed PMID: 24610677.
- Tan HT, Ling LH, Dolor-Torres MC, Yip JW, Richards AM, Chung MC. Proteomics discovery of biomarkers for mitral regurgitation caused by mitral valve prolapse. J Proteomics. 2013 Dec 6;94:337-45. doi: 10.1016/j.jprot.2013.10.009. Epub 2013 Oct 16. PubMed PMID: 24140280.
- Loei H, Lim J, Tan M, Lim TK, Lin QS, Chew FT, Kulaveerasingam H, Chung MC. Proteomic analysis of the oil palm fruit mesocarp reveals elevated oxidative phosphorylation activity is critical for increased storage oil production. J Proteome Res. 2013 Nov 1;12(11):5096-109. doi: 10.1021/pr400606h. Epub 2013 Oct 7. PubMed PMID: 24083564.
- Tay SB, Natarajan G, Rahim MN, Tan HT, Chung MC, Ting YP, Yew WS. Enhancing gold recovery from electronic waste via lixiviant metabolic engineering in Chromobacterium violaceum. Sci Rep. 2013;3:2236. doi: 10.1038/srep02236. PubMed PMID: 23868689; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3715747.
- Wu W, Chung MC. The gastric fluid proteome as a potential source of gastric cancer biomarkers. J Proteomics. 2013 Sep 2;90:3-13. doi: 10.1016/j.jprot.2013.04.035. Epub 2013 May 9. Review. PubMed PMID: 23665003.
- Lee YH, Goh WW, Ng CK, Raida M, Wong L, Lin Q, Boelsterli UA, Chung MC. Integrative toxicoProteomics implicates impaired mitochondrial glutathione import as an off-target effect of troglitazone. J Proteome Res. 2013 Jun 7;12(6):2933-45. doi: 10.1021/pr400219s. Epub 2013 May 28. PubMed PMID: 23659346; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3805328.
- Lin Q, Tan HT, Lim HS, Chung MC. Sieving through the cancer secretome. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013 Nov;1834(11):2360-71. doi: 10.1016/j.bbapap.2013.01.030. Epub 2013 Jan 31. Review. PubMed PMID: 23376431.
- Hou Q, Tan HT, Lim KH, Lim TK, Khoo A, Tan IB, Yeoh KG, Chung MC. Identification and functional validation of caldesmon as a potential gastric cancer metastasis-associated protein. J Proteome Res. 2013 Feb 1;12(2):980-90. doi: 10.1021/pr3010259. Epub 2013 Jan 9. PubMed PMID: 23265641.
- Higuchi S, Lin Q, Wang J, Lim TK, Joshi SB, Anand GS, Chung MC, Sheetz MP, Fujita H. Heart extracellular matrix supports cardiomyocyte differentiation of mouse embryonic stem cells. J Biosci Bioeng. 2013 Mar;115(3):320-5. doi: 10.1016/j.jbiosc.2012.10.004. Epub 2012 Nov 17. PubMed PMID: 23168383.