Kim Lee CHUA
Associate Professor, Department of Biochemistry, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, NUS.
* Significance bacterial efflux pumps in multidrug resistance and pathogenesis in Gram-negative bacteria, particularly Acinetobacter spp.
* Role of intercellular and intracellular signaling in bacterial biofilm formation.
* Development of biomaterials with antimicrobial, anti-infective and anti-biofilm properties.
- Akshamal, M G, G Shui, M R Wenk and K L Chua*, "N-Octanoylhomoserine lactone signalling mediated by the BpsI-BpsR quorum sensing system plays a major role in biofilm formation of Burkholderia pseudomallei". Microbiology-SGM, 157 (2011).
- Ching, S M, W J Tan, K L Chua and Y L Lam*, "Synthesis of Cyclic Di-Nucleotidic Acids as Potential Inhibitors Targeting Diguanylate Cyclase". Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, 18 (2010): 6657-6665.
- Lee, H S, F Gu, S M Ching, Y L Lam and K L Chua, "CdpA is a Burkholderia pseudomallei cyclic di-GMP phosphodiesterase involved in autoaggregation, flagellum synthesis, motility, biofilm formation, cell invasion, and cytotoxicity." Infection and Immunity, 78, no. 5 (2010): 1832-40.
- Chan, Y Y and K L Chua, "Growth-related changes in intracellular spermidine and its effect on efflux pump expression and quorum sensing in Burkholderia pseudomallei." Microbiology-SGM, 156, no. 4 (2010): 1144-54.
- Chan, Y.Y., H.S. Bian, T.M.C. Tan, M.E. Mattmann, G.D. Geske, J. Igarashi, T. Hatano, H. Suga, H.E. Blackwell and K.L. Chua*, Control of quorum sensing by Burkholderia pseudomallei multidrug efflux pump. J Bacteriol, 2007 189(11):4320-4324.
- Chan, Y.Y., Y.M. Ong and K.L. Chua, Synergistic interaction between phenothiazines and antimicrobial agents in Burkholderia pseudomallei. Antimicrob Agents Chemother, 2007. 51(2):623-30.
- Kumar, A., K.L. Chua and H. Schweizer, Method for regulated expression of single-copy efflux pump genes in a surrogate Pseudomonas aeruginosa strain: identification of the BpeEF-OprC chloramphenicol and trimethoprim efflux pump of Burkholderia pseudomallei 1026b. Antimicrob Agents Chemother, 2006. 50(10): 3460-3463.
- Chan, Y.Y. and K.L. Chua, The Burkholderia pseudomallei BpeAB-OprB efflux pump: Expression and impact on quorum sensing and virulence. J Bacteriol, 2005. 187(14): 4707-4719.