Christiani Jeyakumar HENRY
Professor, Department of Biochemistry, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, NUS.
Director of Clinical Nutritional Sciences, Singapore Institute of Clinical Sciences, A*STAR.
|Degree and Institution||Year(s)|
|PhD (Human Nutrition) London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. University of London||1980-1984|
|MSc (Human Nutrition) London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. University of London||1978-1980|
|BSc (Tech) Food Technology, 1st Class, Department of Chemical Technology, University of Bombay||1974-1977|
|Director of Clinical Nutritional Sciences, Singapore Institute of Clinical Sciences, A*STAR||June 2011-Present|
|Director Functional Foods Centre, Oxford||2009-2011|
|Professor of Food & Human Nutrition at Oxford Brookes University||1997-2011|
|General Scientific Advisory Committee member, UK Food Standards Agency||2007-2011|
|Royal Society Visiting Professor, Chinese University of Hong Kong||Jul-Sep 2000|
|Supervisor, Special Studies Programme for year 4 medical students, Oxford University||2000-2011|
|Team member, Nutritional Advisor to Asian Development Bank. Development of nutrition policy for China||2000–2004|
|Board Member UK Government, Food Standards Agency (FSA)||2000–2003|
|Secondment to UNICEF New York, Delhi, and Beijing as nutritionist. (Sponsors Dr R Shrimpton, DR R Yip, Ms D. Srivastava)||May-Sep 1999|
|Summer School Lecturer on Nutrition, University College Cork, Ireland||1996–2006|
|Reader in Human Nutrition and Head of Nutrition & Food Sciences Group, Oxford Brookes University||1992–1997|
|Nutrition Tutor, Refugee Studies Programme, University of Oxford||1988–Date|
|Nutrition and Food Science Tutor, Rewley House, University of Oxford||1988–1990|
|Senior Lecturer in Food Science and Human Nutrition, Oxford Brookes University||1984–1992|
|Post-doctoral Research Fellow, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. University of London||1984|
|Research Assistant, Lipid/Protein Metabolism, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. University of London||1979-1980|
|Rice & Legume Processing Advisor, Nirmal Mills, Sri Lanka||1977-1978|
|In service training in Food Technology at the Central Food Technological Research Institute, Mysore, India||1976|
Christiani Jeyakumar Henry’s laboratory focuses on:
* Food nutrient interactions
* Body weight control
* Functional foods
* Energy regulation and metabolism
* Development of high energy foods
* Development of low glycaemic diet for diabetes & cardiovascular disease
* International nutrition
- Henry, C.J.K., & Ranawana, V. (2012). Sugar: A problem of developed countries. Nature, 482(7386): 471. (DOI:10.1038/482471a)
- Ranawana DV, Henry CJK. (2010) Are caloric beverages compensated for in the short-term by young adults? An investigation with particular focus on gender differences. Appetite 2010; 55:137-46.
- Wolever TM, … Henry CJ and Lightowler H (2008): Measuring the glycaemic index of foods: interlaboratory study. Am J. Clin Nutr. 87 247S-57S.
- Henry CJK (2005): Basic metabolic rate studies in humans: Measurement and development of new equations. Public Health Nutr. 8 (7A), 1133-1152.
- Warren JM, Henry CJK and Simonite V (2003): Low glycemic index breakfasts and reduced food intake in preadolescent children. Pediatrics 112, e414.
- G.Lietz, Henry, CJK, Mulokozi G, Mugyabuso JKL, Ballart, A, Ndossi, GD, Lorri, W and Tomkins, A (2001) Comparison of the effects of supplemental red palm oil and sunflower oil on maternal vitamin A status. Am J Clin Nutr. 74, 501-509.
- Henry CJK (2000): Mechanisms of changes in basal metabolism during ageing. Eur. J. Clin. Nutr. 54 (suppl 3), S77-S91.
- Tomkins A and Henry CJK (1992) Comparison of nutrient composition of refugee rations with pet foods. Lancet, 340-368.